You may jump directly to one of the following research topics:
- Visualization of molecules and Virtual Reality
- High energy physics
Until January 2007 I was working
at the Zentralinstitut für Angewandte Mathematik (ZAM)
at the Research Center Jülich and was involved
in the HFSP
project "Fast rotational matching methods for the structure determination of mega-dalton
subcellular machines". Within this project our group was working on SenSitus,
a program for the interactive fitting of high-resolution structures
into low-resolution density distributions of macromolecular complexes.
This program employs virtual reality techniques (namely "haptic
rendering") to guide the user to the optimal docking position.
Visualization of molecules and Virtual Reality
Slides of a talk given on the
2. workshop on virtual and augmented reality in Aachen can be found here (PDF). A poster which describes the Laplace filter enhanced fitting can be downloaded
This work is supported by the
Human Frontier Science Program (Grant RGP0026/2003).
Slides of a presentation on the visualization of molecules in general can be found here (PDF, german).
I have studied in Wuppertal and received my diploma
and PhD in experimental particle physics, working for the DELPHI collaboration at
Given fair command of the german language you may enjoy reading my diploma or my PhD
thesis. They are dealing with quantum chromodynamics (QCD) tests in
electron positron annihilation, namely the measurement of inclusive
spectra and of the coupling constant alpha_s from event shapes.
They provide also a general overview about experimental (i.e. detector)
techniques, the standard model of particle physics in general and QCD
The following publications and conference contributions grew out of this work:
- My PhD results are
summarised in "The measurement of alpha_s from event shapes with the
DELPHI detector at the highest LEP energies", hep-ex/0406011, published version: (Eur. Phys. J. C37 (2004) 1).
- A summary talk presented at the DIS03 workshop
in St. Petersburg, titled "The present situation in
the determination of alpha_s", can be found under
- A very brief review on the measurement of alpha_s and the beta-function was published in Nucl. Phys. B (Proc. Suppl.) 121 (2003). This talk was given at the QCD 2002 conference in Montpellier.
- In hep-ph/0101153
you find the write-up of a summary talk on multiparticle production at LEP presented at the ISMD 2000 in Hungary.
- The main results of my diploma are published in Phys. Lett. B459 (1999) 397, "Energy dependence of inclusive spectra in e+e- annihilation".
The full list of my high-energy publications (including the many for
which the co-authorship was acquired through participance on measuring
shifts) can be obtained most easily via the high-energy physics
database SPIRES: SLAC Spires